Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lift up your voice

It takes guts to get up and do karaoke...this is why most people need to have a few shots of liquid courage first!

Some of the best times I've had has been watching people sing! The first time I ever went to a place that had karaoke was problably 1998. There were some very serious singers there, but my personal favorite was the big guy who got up and sang "I'm too sexy for my shirt". There is a little place down the street that Mark and I have gone to a few times. Talk about serious...some of these people have made their own music mix on cd and bring them in and wait for their three minutes of fame.

I say let's have fun with it. I just don't think the audience appreciates those serious individuals the same way they do when say, Lyndsay sings "I like big butts". Anyone who knows me, knows my all time favorite karaoke song to perform...and yes, I perform...is "Love Shack". "Me and Bobby McGee" was my most embarassing ever...and I completely missed Nathan doing Johnny Cash at the beach due to a restroom break. The funniest I've ever watched (in horror) was a guy about 60 yrs old do "Funky Cold Medina". There is a limit!

Songs are fun, and every one of us sing....in the car, while cleaning, in the shower..heck, I can sing; just doesn't sound great when I do it.

My Mom was a singer at heart. She and my Dad both deepened my love for music and I see the result in my own kids who probably know songs the average teen has never heard. (You know your a redneck when you get a David Allen Coe CD from your Grandfather for Christmas)

You'll notice a few songs playing while you browse the site. These are the ones that no matter what, always make me think of my Mom. Next time I get a chance at Karaoke, maybe I'll give "Delta Dawn" a try.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Anyone who reads this post at this point...I have removed the music. If you are curious the playlist included:

Harper valley PTA
Help me Make it through the Night
Son of a Preacher Man &
Delta Dawn